Horizon Advanced DNA Carrier Screening £450
Horizon Advanced DNA carrier screening (Pre-conception ) test for up to 274 autosomal recessive and X-linked genetic conditions
- HorizonTMis a DNA screening test that provides information on patients´ chance of having a child with a genetic condition.
- Knowing the carrier status of genetic conditions allows patients to make more informed reproductive decisions.
- Horizon´s technology provides comprehensive screening results for commonly screened conditions, like Cystic Fibrosis, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Fragile X, Spinal Muscular Atrophy
What is carrier screening?
Carrier screening is a simple blood test that determines if you are a carrier of one or more autosomal recessive or X-linked genetic conditions.
To Contact us for more information to know about these blood test call 📞 01138301371 to speak with the Healthcare Professional
What does it mean to be a carrier?
A carrier of a genetic condition has a change (or “mutation”) in one gene copy of a pair of genes.
- Most people are carriers of at least four to six genetic conditions
- Most carriers are healthy because the other copy of the gene works normally
- Carrier couples are at the increased chance to have a child with a genetic condition
- Knowing the carrier status of genetic conditions allows patients to make more informed reproductive decisions
The test gives 4-panel options
- Horizon 4 panel (CF, SMA, Fragile X, DMD) - Cystic fibrosis + Duchenne muscular dystrophy + spinal muscular atrophy + fragile x - £450.00
- Horizon 27 Panel (Pan-ethnic Standard) - Adds hemoglobinopathies (including both alpha and beta thalassemias) - £490.00
- Horizon 106 panel ( Comprehensive Jewish )- Broad coverage of patients of both Ashkenazi and Sephardic ancestry, with more than 100 conditions screened, with a combined likelihood of 1:2 - £560.00
- Horizon 274: panel ( Pan-ethnic Extended) - Large panel of 274 conditions covering everything here and more ( https://www.natera.com/horizon-carrier-screen ) - £650.00
What Horizon screens for
Horizon screens for up to 274 genetic conditions. Please ask your doctor and discuss the choice for carrier screening. This may include screening for a few or all of the conditions available through Horizon. Horizon´s technology provides comprehensive screening results for commonly screened conditions, like Cystic Fibrosis, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Fragile X, Spinal Muscular Atrophy
Please follow the link to see the 274 genetic conditions
How are genetic conditions passed down from carrier parents to children?
- Autosomal recessive inheritance - If a woman and her partner are both carriers of the same condition, they have a 1-in-4, or 25%, chance with each pregnancy of having a child affected with the condition.
- X-linked inheritance - If a woman is a carrier of an X-linked condition, she has a 1-in-2, or 50%, chance with each pregnancy of passing the gene mutation to her child. If the child is a boy, and he inherits the mutation, he will be affected with the condition.
When should a patient have carrier screening?
Horizon can be performed at any time before or during pregnancy. Some people may want to know their carrier status before pregnancy to inform reproductive decisions.
What do Horizon results tell me, and when?
Results are returned in about 2-3 weeks.
- A positive result means that a disease-causing or likely disease-causing mutation was detected. It is important to determine the partner’s carrier status, too, to understand the chances of passing a genetic condition to the child.
- A negative result means that no mutations for the conditions screened were found. While a negative result indicates a significantly lower chance to be a carrier, carrier screening cannot detect all disease-causing mutations.
What are the reproductive options if a couple is a carrier?
If partners are both carriers of the same autosomal recessive condition, or if one partner is a carrier of an X-linked condition, the couple may consider:
- Natural conception, with an option of prenatal testing, such as amniocentesis or chorionic villi sampling, for the specific condition
- In vitro fertilization(IVF) with preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD)
- Use of a sperm or egg donor who is not a carrier for the condition (if allowed in your country)
Genetic counsellors :
Patients have access to our genetic counsellors (pre and post-test
). Here is a link to a website allowing you to book online a free 15 minutes call to discuss a result with a board-certified genetic counsellor: www.naterasession.com
Book now your spot for Horizon Advanced DNA carrier screening (Pre-conception ) test in Leeds